[wp-hackers] Removing edit theme files features

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed Jan 16 08:01:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Almog Baku <almog.baku at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Nachin, you right. but this act will fore them to use a little bit
> professional tool(even like notepad++), so we'll can push wordpress to
> place less amateur.

Most users don't know about text editors, or FTP. And nor should they,
unless they want to. Those that know enough to edit wp-config.php when
asked probably have no idea how to make such changes as part of an
effective workflow. Rather, they download the file, edit it, re-upload the
file — if they didn't use the editor built into their web host's crummy
file browser.

It should be okay for users to hack around and hit save. I don't see why
the tool can't be a more "professional tool," as you say. We're not going
to remove a feature in order to to make WordPress less appealing to our
broad user base. WordPress is for amateurs. It's for photographers. It's
for bloggers. It's for writers, poets, journalists. It's for cat pictures,
diary entries, and musings. Yes, it's also for Fortune 500 companies and
world-class developers. But those aren't the people we target with the
theme editor. For the people we do, it's not going anywhere.

Nacin