[wp-hackers] WordPress plugins SVN server malfunctioning?

Ian Dunn ian at iandunn.name
Tue Jan 15 20:22:49 UTC 2013

/"//I mean, I want to write code, so I sit down and write the code. How
hard is that supposed to be, exactly? What are you doing that needs
branching paths and versioning and such?"/

There are times when I find local branches helpful, even if I'm not
collaborating with other developers. The classic example is having a
branch for version X (latest stable) so that you can push bugfixes and
other minor releases, then have another branch for version Y (upcoming
release) so you can work on new features. Git's cheap branching makes it
much more convenient and less error-prone to work on both simultaneously.

Or, if I'm working on several large and distinct features for a project
simultaneously, I can have a branch for each, and then merge them into
master as they're completed. Someone may object to that by saying that
you could just work on them in succession, but I've found that there are
times when you have to stop working on one feature and switch to
another. One example would be if you have to wait for a decision from a
client; another would be if priorities shift and they want feature X
done before feature Y.