[wp-hackers] Plugin conflicts with latest version of Jetpack

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Wed Jan 2 17:45:41 UTC 2013

On Jan 2, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> This happens because you either:
>
> a) don't have a proper "Expires:" header being sent with the static content,
> b) the expiration has, well... expired, or
> c) you manually refreshed or hit F5 or something to that effect when
> you were testing your theory. Browsers treat a refresh differently
> than normal browsing.
>
> Content that is browser-cached and has an expiration date will not be
> re-retrieved, or even checked for last-modified, in a normal browsing
> situation... until the content has expired. Refreshing is not a normal
> browsing situation, it's an explicit request by the user to get new
> data.
>
> Check that you are correctly setting Expires headers for your static
> content, and see what happens when you're browsing among pages
> normally instead of reloading a page for testing purposes.

I've been studying HTTP since 2006, but I'll be honest I'm often confused by what I see in practice so I could well learn something here.

Let's take this CSS file as an example since I know the setup of that server and it's a newly installed WordPress 3.5:

http://hardcorewp.com/wp-content/themes/the-bootstrap/style.css

If I do an HTTP request using a free Mac tool called HTTP Client I get these headers: