[wp-hackers] Will automatic translation files updates overwrite user's modifications

Xavier Faraudo i Gener wordpress at web-warlocks.net
Wed Dec 4 13:49:50 UTC 2013

El 04/12/2013 14:36, Nikola Nikolov ha escrit:
> That is also an option, but when I have some free time on my hands some day
> I might look into the more complicated way.
> Simply because if you don't get any updates on your custom translation
> files, then you would have missing translations as well - and merging the
> default with your custom translations manually would eventually get time
> consuming.

Well, this only disables *automatic* translations. You can always check
them manually from the update panel, AFAIK. (May be wrong in this).
Meaning that you can manually update the non-custom files in the good
ol' way of clicking a link to update.

Merging custom and official (rather than "default", which is a text
domain) may not be that time-consuming. You can add any number of
translation files to a domain (they're just keys of the global array
l10n, after all). And the way that the gettext implementation merges
entries/files/domains is basically "if it exists, do nothing" (not true
for the loaded comments, though, but developer comments are basically
unused, and highly useless once strings are translated). So, you'd only
need to make sure your translation files are loaded before any other if
you want to go this way…

I'm not sure if I follow you at all, though. I mean, you'd have missing
translations as long as the source files are changed and you don't
update your custom files, right? So you need to update your *custom
translations* anyway, which is not that time-consuming (unless the
source files are highly changed, that is).

--
Xavier Faraudo i Gener (the WordPress Web Warlock)