[wp-hackers] MultiSite SSL over Nginx proxy

Tom Barrett tcbarrett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 10:15:23 UTC 2013

On 1 August 2013 10:07, Martin Lazarov <martin at lazarov.bg> wrote:

> What did you mean "without domain mapping"? Separete blog installation?

I mean that the blog_id has no mapped domain on it.

> You can do that playing with nginx and/or with the webserver config
> over the private ip. Just make required vhost.

I think this is an example that breaks down my problem. This is what I want
(numbers are blog_id).

1. HTTP: www.my-network.com
2. HTTP: apples.my-network.com (DM: www.my-apples.com)
3. HTTP: pears.my-network.com
4. HTTPS: ssl.my-network.com

Proxy server (Server A) pushes requests onto web server (Server B). All 443
and 80 traffic is proxied from A to B on port 80 over private IP.

Using this as my starting point, all blogs (1,2,3 and 4) 'work' on port 80
and 443. But on 443 all the subrequests are on http, which breaks things
(like CSS).

If I add an Nginx redirect:
server {
  listen      111.222.333.444:80;
  server_name ssl.my-network.com;

  rewrite ^(.*) https://ssl.my-network.com$1 redirect;
}
That doesn't fix the issue with the subrequests.

Are you saying this is entirely an nginx set up problem, and it can be done
without any amends to WordPress or use of plugins?

Have I befuddled myself?

--
http://www.tcbarrett.com | http://gplus.to/tcbarrett |
http://twitter.com/tcbarrett