[wp-hackers] Limit Login Attempts

Sam Hotchkiss sam at hotchkissconsulting.net
Mon Apr 22 13:50:27 UTC 2013

FWIW, this thread inspired me to come up with a solution:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bruteprotect/

Failed login attempts get logged into a central repository, if any single IP fails to log in 10 times in 1 hour to ANY site or combination of sites with this plugin installed, it blocks any login attempts to any installed site from that IP for 1 hour.  Subsequent bans on that IP are held for longer (20 fails in 24 hours = a 4 hour ban, 30 fails in 48 hours = a 12 hour ban, etc).  The next update will allow a user to lift their ban once in a 24 hour period by completing a re-captcha.

The idea being that, if we can get enough sites with the plugin installed, we can effectively neutralize the multiple-IP attack.

Obviously, this is not as ideal as complete host-level protection, but it's a whole lot easier...

--
Sam Hotchkiss :: Principal / Senior Web Developer
Hotchkiss Consulting Group