[wp-hackers] GSoC WP android

Stanislavs Beguns bestan93 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:52:43 UTC 2013

Hello WP hackers

My name is Stan and I am interested in contributing to WordPress Android
app via GSoC. Having used the app for a little while I’ve spotted a couple
of things that could be improved in addition to already proposed ideas.

        - Re-implementation of registration without using a WebView. This
would improve performance, make it more responsive and would allow nicely
handle cases when internet connection suddenly disappeared.

       - Placeholder required for empty comments.

       - Improved offline mode. E.g. when I am posting without having
internet connection the notification saying “Post Upload Failed: Sorry, an
error occurred while….” pops up what in my view is not very user friendly.
Then in order to have the post published I need to wait for internet
connection to appear and publish it manually from Local Drafts (I can
easily forget about that). Basically things like posting, commenting could
be scheduled to be published automatically when internet connection is
available.

     - Improve media handling. Feedback on the Google Play Store contains
crashes (out of memory exceptions) and low performance when uploading pics,
videos etc.

     - Better push notifications. People reported on the Google Play Store
that the app lacks pushed notifications. Not entirely sure about that since
I haven’t been a very active user of android wp but sounds like another
opportunity for improvement.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback on things I have proposed. Also if
someone is interested in hearing more about myself and possibly GSoC
mentoring me, I would be more than happy to speak with you.

P.S. Seems my first email wasn't delivered (checked mailing list archives).
I'm very sorry if you are getting it twice.

Best regards,

Stan