[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Aniket Pant me at aniketpant.com
Fri Apr 12 16:20:04 UTC 2013

I have been looking at this interaction since it started. Actually, I
am also interested in applying for the very same project and I
couldn't help but joining in the discussion.

I love the fact that WordPress put this project on the idea list
because as Ryan said before, "The idea of the GSoC project is to go
from what we have now (i.e. nothing) to something usable." This has
been the motive of most of the GSoC project undertaken by many
students till date and is definitely a good starting point. If
WordPress were to wait for deciding the perfect architecture for
making this API, then it will definitely take a long time. And if
Ryan, or I, or any student for that matter is able to work on API that
pretty much does what the current XML implementation does, then it is
definitely a huge success as we will have a basic foundation ready for
tackling more issues in the future.

And the way Ryan, has defined the basic version of the proposed JSON
API, it works in pretty much the same fashion other APIs do. I doubt
the fact that after a version change, the API will break. The basic
foundation can never change this much to break older applications.
Cheers!

Aniket