[wp-hackers] Closing the HTTP connection on wp-cron

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Fri Apr 12 10:14:47 UTC 2013

Ah. I now realise that the *real* problem is that the webserver that the
site I'm investigating is on appears to be ignoring ignore_user_abort.
ignore_user_abort already achieves, by design, what I'm trying to
achieve, and I already call it - as does wp_cron. But my real problem is
that provably, even with ignore_user_abort, PHP is dying from underneath me.

So, the real question I should be asking is - why is ignore_user_abort
failing?

And, I believe I have an answer, because I had another guy with the same
problem yesterday - he's running LiteSpeed.

LiteSpeed seems to have a generic problem with wp_cron. In case this
information helps someone else in future, if you find that your cron
jobs abort excessively early, then add this to .htaccess. This fixed it
for the guy I had yesterday:

RewriteRule ^$ - [E=noabort:1]

David