[wp-hackers] Your development application workflow

Brian Layman wp-hackers at thecodecave.com
Tue Sep 11 19:45:19 UTC 2012

I am setup for Windows dev work. So I use XAMPP's Apache and MySQL
(defaulted to myisam) running locally out of a DropBox folder.  I shut
down the servers any time I might be switching from desktop to laptop to
prevent collisions.  It's a bit of awesome just be able to just turn on
the laptop and have your host file, httpd.conf&vhosts.conf and mysql
databases just work for your local dev environment.  The mklink windows
command and DropBox allows for wonderful things like portable hosts
files (and Terraria characters).

If I need to cowboy code, I use ExpanDrive to access the server
(version1.8.4 is faster for SSH but I will use the new version for FTP
only servers) as a drive letter.  So I have a number of standard drives
for customers which I need to access often.

Because I have a drive letter assigned, I can just use Notepad++ to
access the local and/or remote code.  I have it set up with function
keys that access the codex for WordPress functions.

Dropbox along with the Windows 7 task scheduler is also nice for
scheduled exports and imports of Putty registry settings. So if I add a
client to putty, it will just appear on my other machines the next day.
I need to reconnect the ppks unfortunately. I've not dug into why that
is not working.

The one other unique thing about my environment is that I use Ztree as a
file manager because it does SOOO much more than explorer and does it
more quickly in most cases. http://www.ztree.com/ (OK I need to redo
their website for them. That's embarrassing. :) ) But it's a great 64bit
windows tool.

Brian Layman