[wp-hackers] Multisite Domains without sub domains or sub directories

Mon Sep 10 17:40:38 UTC 2012

Awhile ago I read this article online about how to use domains with
WordPress Multisite without a plugin. From what I remember from it it was a
manual method where you edited database settings for the site.

Now for a little background this is my understanding of the existing domain
mapping plugin. If Multisite is setup at example.com and I create a site at
coolblog.example.com or example.com/coolblog then I register coolblog.com.
I redirect the old site example.com/coolblog to coolblog.com and it fixes
all the links inside the site to point to coolblog.com. The problem is
example.com/coolblog still exists as a redirect.

The method described in the article bypassed this completely for
example.com/cool blog does not exist. I want to do it that way so
coolblog.com and example.com/coolblog can coexist as separate sites if
necessary.

Here's my problem I cannot seem to find that article anymore, i know my
fault for not saving it. I was wondering if anyone who has more knowledge
how wordpress does domain mapping can explain how to get this kind of setup.