[wp-hackers] ALTERNATE_WP_CRON... Is it worth it?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:14:29 UTC 2012

Hey all,

In order to fix this cron error:

<http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11831>

...the IS guy at my work opted to enable ALTERNATE_WP_CRON (I was
kinda hoping he would have tweaked the server vs. patch with the
alternate cron setting).

The above ticket and the below post seemed to give us the most
information about the alternate cron:

<http://wordpress.org/support/topic/scheduled-posts-still-not-working-in-282#post-1175405>

I have my concerns about using the alternate cron... Specifically,
paragraph got me worried:

"This alternate method uses a redirection approach, which makes the
users browser get a redirect when the cron needs to run, so that they
come back to the site immediately while cron continues to run in the
connection they just dropped. This method is a bit iffy sometimes,
which is why it's not the default."

I guess my question is this: On a medium traffic site (let's say ~1.5
million page views a month) could the alternate cron redirection cause
problems for the front end user? What about SEO?

I just don't like the thought of redirects happening for users for the
sake of a cron that may or may not need to run. Am I being irrational?

I'm wondering if I should just disable ALTERNATE_WP_CRON and turn off
WP_DEBUG (i.e. out of site, out of mind).

Thanks!
Micky