[wp-hackers] Enabling pretty url search redirect

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Wed Nov 21 17:05:12 UTC 2012

On 21 November 2012 16:53, Tom Barrett <tcbarrett at gmail.com> wrote:

> @Mike
> Thanks. Mark uses template_redirect and has some other useful sanity checks
> in there. It's the 3rd plugin I've found today that either does something I
> was doing, or is doing something I want to. 'Mazing.
>
> Still leaves me wondering why it isn't core behaviour. There are no
> caveat's to Mark's code, and I only learnt about /search/ when I tried to
> add it myself and found it already there. The lack of redirect made me
> think that /search/ wasn't there. But it is.

I should image it's not core because
a) pretty urls are not guaranteed to work on all installations,
b) it's a perverse use of the url that appeals to we techies but could
confuse many people, and
c) unless you are distributing search links to your site, it's value is
pretty limited. That's what tag and category archive links are for.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/