[wp-hackers] Accessing Update Check API Outside of WordPress

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Tue Nov 20 17:28:50 UTC 2012

> I presume most of these kind of scripts would be run on the machine that
> also hosts the sites in question. Thus PHP will be installed. Why not just
> write the parsing code in PHP (using the WP code to start) and have it spit
> out the specific bits required, then call that PHP code from your shell
> scripts?

That's what I'm presently doing (calling out to PHP if present to
unserialize). But my goal is to allow WordShell to not have a dependency
on PHP (for now, without PHP, you just lose some meta-data and it
carries on), so that it can be installed anywhere where there's a basic
POSIX environment. I know that some customers are using Mac OS X which
doesn't have PHP installed by default. They develop on servers across
the network, but want to manage their collection of sites from their
local workstation.

Anyway, with that shell JSON parser it looks like my problem is solved;
we can access the meta-data that way, no PHP needed.

David

--
WordShell - WordPress fast from the CLI - www.wordshell.net