[wp-hackers] child themes of child themes (grandchildren)

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Fri Nov 9 18:25:06 UTC 2012

Hi Mika,

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Good classifications are often very helpful, especially if the terms are broadly known and well understood.  If people are choosing the wrong theme because they like it looks and not because of it having the proper architecture then providing guidance for users could result in fewer wrongly picked themes and fewer unhappy users.  I think WordPress currently has a bit of the "hammer-nail" problem with respect to themes.

So your classification sounds like:

1.) Good: A great blog post from you,
2.) Better: An article on Codex that gets consensus from the core docs team,
3.) Best: A discussion on Make with interested parties to nail down these so these terms and their distinctions and with adoption by theme vendors so people can use these well-known terms and theme vendors can advertise their themes as being of a certain type in order to educate their would-be customers.

Thoughts?

-Mike