[wp-hackers] WordPress E-Commerce

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sat Nov 3 08:45:41 UTC 2012

Shasta Willson wrote:
> I've used both WP E-commerce and Cart66.  The latter has a nice clean code
> base that's easy to work with, but I encountered a flaw that was fatal for
> my purposes: if the purchase of an electronic download fails, the buyer
> still gets the link to the product.  That was maybe six months ago and at
> that point they didn't seem to feel it was a high priority.  It was a
> deal-breaker for me, and also made me wonder what else might be odd.

If you're planning on building on top of Cart66, you're going to be
disappointed. There are a total of two hooks in the entire thing, and
only one of them is useful. For anything mildly complicated, you'll have
to hack around this.

I recently built a MailChimp integration plugin for a client using
Cart66, and it was a huge pain (to the point where it was almost easier
to transfer the 100k purchases to another system than to try and build
it with Cart66).

I can, however, thoroughly recommend WooCommerce: it has a lot of great
hooks and is very nice to work with. WP-e-Commerce is also up there, and
although it can be a bit of a pain to work with in some areas, it's very
capable and always possible to work around those.

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>