[wp-hackers] Whippet: a standalone dev server for WordPress

Harry Metcalfe harry at dxw.com
Thu May 31 16:37:42 UTC 2012

Not quite sure what you mean.

If you run Whippet from the root of a WordPress install with a working
database, all the WordPress core stuff works the same way as it would
normally. Though by default Whippet doesn't display much information
about what the core is doing (check out --show-wp-* or --show-everything
if you want to see that).

If you run Whippet from a wp-content without a core, Whippet will
download and stash the core files in ~/.cache. You could modify them
there if you wanted to. Those modifications would then apply to any site
you launch using Whippet from a wp-content. That might be useful or
annoying!

Whippet won't produce a diff, or anything like that. Though if you
screwed up you could delete the core from ~/.cache and Whippet would
re-download it.

Harry