[wp-hackers] adding HTML to readme.txt

Phillip Lord phillip.lord at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri May 11 14:09:32 UTC 2012

"Dion Hulse (dd32)" <wordpress at dd32.id.au> writes:
> Can you explain what exactly it's used to achieve? (Sorry, The
> wikipedia page didn't really help me understand what your use-case
> is).
>
> To be honest, from the sniplet of HTML you've given I wouldn't expect
> that to be displayed verbatim, simply due to needing to control what
> HTML is output to prevent plugins breaking things.

Okay. It's a bit complicated, I am afraid.

I have a wordpress plugin called kcite which generates academic
bibliographies to wordpress posts. So if I reference

http://www.russet.org.uk/blog/2010/07/realism-and-science/

in a post, it will get replaced with this "(Lord et al 2010)" and I get
a reference list which looks like so:

Bibliography
Lord, Phillip. 2010. Realism and Science. An Exercise in Irrelevance.
July 28. http://www.russet.org.uk/blog/2010/07/realism-and-science/.

You can see this working at

http://www.russet.org.uk/blog/2012/05/kcite-greycite-and-kblog-metadata/

To achieve this, kcite has to get it's bibliographic metadata from
somewhere. Currently, kcite uses several different sources for this
metadata, one of which is from the web page itself. In turn, this
requires that the end point of the link advertise it's metadata in a way
that kcite can understand. One of these ways is COiNS which, dreadful
though it is, is somewhat of a standard within the academic section of
the web.

Now, if I reference my own plugin page at
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/kcite, unfortunately, this page does
not advertise any metadata I can consume. So the reference appears as
"(Anon)" the bibliography displays:

Bibliography
Anon. . http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/kcite

Bit ugly. Also slightly unfortunate that kcite cannot present nicely a
reference to itself. The span tag that I sent in my original post
contains parsable metadata that would make this appear nice. I don't
need the span tag to be visible on the page, I just need it to be in the
source, exactly as is, not doing anything else.

> The bbPress plugin that powers the Plugin directory is open source:
> http://plugins-svn.bbpress.org/svn-browser/trunk/
> I unfortunately have a feeling that that's a bit out of date with
> what's currently used, and I can't actually find the readme parser
> there anymore, but there might be something there to help you.

It's in a subdirectory. Thanks I will take a look.

Phil