[wp-hackers] Users for each blog in Multi-Site?

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Wed May 9 18:31:40 UTC 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Mike Walsh wrote:

> This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
>
> Will the primary blog also be present in the meta table as a
> wp_XX_capabilities entry?

Yes, you can try this out. Assumed you have blog 1 with a normal admin, editor, author. Now go to your last site blog 10 for example. So to Users > Add New. There are two parts. Add Existing User or Add New User. In the Add Existing User enter the email address for a user from another blog (not a super admin). Now if you view the usermeta for that user in your database you should see something like:

http://screencast.com/t/2ntX0qkhl0RU

You will also see another row in usermeta  'wp_XX_user_level'. Since a user can be an admin on one blog but a lowly author on another blog.

The one caveat I found with this logic is the super admin. The super admin will not show these wp_XX_user_level' or 'wp_XX_capabilities' entries in the usermeta information. You will need to call is_superadmin to check if a user is a super admin. They will automatically have access to all blogs.

P-