[wp-hackers] Users for each blog in Multi-Site?

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Wed May 9 18:11:37 UTC 2012

Mike,

The key is that under MS a user can have access to more than one blog. There are two elements in the usermeta table to look into:

1. 'primary_blog' - As the key_name implies this is the user's primary blog. Will only contain one blog ID.

2. As for when a user can access other blogs the key is in the capabilities. If you view the usermeta table for a user you will see a record with a meta_key like 'wp_4_capabilities'. This means the user has access to blog 4. A given user may have multiple 'wp_XX_capabilities' rows where 'XX' is the blog ID. You can access this information simply by using the MS function get_blogs_of_user($user_id) see wp-includes/user.php line 652. This will return a list of blogs for the user. There is also a compliment function is_user_member_of_blog($user_id, $blog_id) for a simple user check.

2b. There is also a handy function get_blog_details($blog_id) to obtain the blog details. Better than a direct query on the blogs table.

Hope this helps.

P-