[wp-hackers] Settings - WP 3.5

Tom Lynch me at unknowndomain.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 21:46:44 UTC 2012

Hello WP team!

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the push towards 3.4. I am writing to the list because there is a area of development that keeps getting skipped over every release and as a plugin developer I would like to campaign for it to be in WordPress 3.5 as its a key area and from a personal perspective it is preventing me making a plugin that I think will help the WordPress Multisite community.

The tickets pertaining to the current Settings API, and Settings pages within wp-admin.

New Settings API and workflow:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18285

Settings page needs HTML refactorying and UI improvements:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/16413

Make it easy to disable options / user settings:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15865

The idea for the plugin is to allow WordPress Multisite administrators to control access to settings within the Site administrators settings area. Specifically to allow them to set the option as read only, hidden and to set a default option. This means I need access to the options through a Settings API, with hooks and actions rather than flat HTML in core.

How can I support this for WordPress 3.5 as previously when I have tried it gets some momentum but it actually looks like it needs the core team to make a decision about what is going to happen.

Let me know what I can do, I don't have much time until July and my coding experience is not that great but I will try and help some how.

Thanks

Tom Lynch