[wp-hackers] newbie question on custom page templates

Ryann Micua ryannmicua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 00:39:03 UTC 2012

> >  Thanks Mike.
> >
> >  The theme I'm using also serves category pages, but they're lame. Just lists of posts. Doesn't look professional or interesting at all. The tech people who made that theme suggested developing custom page templates.
> >
> >  Again, it surprises me that people don't see ready-made templates for custom pages.
You can only do so much with the commercial theme's options editor.
Can't really expect a ready-made theme to cover all possibilities i.e.
your requirements. You may see a RTU (ready to use) theme that has parts
that you like, and don't like, and see another theme that has the other
parts that you like.

Again, that house analogy by Andrew is a good one. If you want your home
to look different from your neighbors then you'll have to find an
already built home that has "all" your requirements (unlikely) or find
the closest looking one and customize from there. If you know how to do
it yourself, then good for you. If not, then you'll just have to find
someone who does.

> >  On your other suggestion, am I alone in thinking that the support forums at wordpress.org are more or less dead? When I've posted there in the recent past I got virtually no replies.
This is so unfair to the people who spend a good amount of time
answering questions in the forums. FOR FREE. But no it's not dead. You
just probably need to rephrase your question. Or maybe break it down.

But, if this is the question you asked on the forums, then you'll
probably get the same answer as here. Build the custom functionality
yourself or hire someone else to do it for you.

Like Andrews said, "WP is great.. But it's not magic" ;)
--
*Ryann Micua*
/Web Developer/