[wp-hackers] Multiple versions of same install independently running on same server

robin niemeyer robin.niemeyer at gmx.net
Mon Mar 12 14:18:38 UTC 2012

> Even with serialized data?
> Seems like most people are saying that it won't work out because of how wp
> stores data

I can't imagine a case why it shouldn't work, I guess. Maybe a lack of
imagination, but an array or object serialized into a string stays a
string, so there shouldn't be a problem a regex can't handle (if this
could be said about *life* to...)

-Robin

Am 12.03.2012 14:46, schrieb Kokarn:
>> Same approach here, never have faced any problems in years.
>
> Even with serialized data?
> Seems like most people are saying that it won't work out because of how wp
> stores data but i'm not having any problems at all with that exact approach.
>
> On 12 March 2012 14:41, robin niemeyer <robin.niemeyer at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> Am 12.03.2012 10:11, schrieb Hydrostarr:
>>> Update: am wondering if the following /etc/wordpress/wp-config.php file
>>> (which we just discovered) might be contributing to these probs.
>>
>> Dunno, but I'm pretty sure it ain't that helpful.
>>
>> As was said earlier (I think), it's best to follow the standard
>> installation procedure, with one config file per site sitting in the
>> site's root dir etc.
>>
>>> mysqldump -u youruser -p yourdatabase > database-2012-3-12.sql
>>>
>>> sed -i 's/olddomain\.com/newdomain\.com/g' database-2012-3-12.sql
>>>
>>> mysql -u youruser -p yourdatabase < database-2012-3-12.sql
>>
>> Same approach here, never have faced any problems in years.
>>
>> -Robin

>>> note: looks like the Ubuntu wordpress debian pkg put its stuff in
>>> /usr/share/wordpress/*, while our single (working) WP server is mostly
>>> living in /var (like /var/www) areas... fwiw.
>>>
>>> <code=start>
>>>
>>> <?php
>>> /***
>>> * WordPress's Debianised default master config file
>>> * Please do NOT edit and learn how the configuration works in
>>> * /usr/share/doc/wordpress/README.Debian
>>> ***/
>>>
>>> /* Look up a host-specific config file in
>>> * /etc/wordpress/config-<host>.php or /etc/wordpress/config-<domain>.php
>>> */
>>> $debian_server = preg_replace('/:.*/', "", $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);
>>> $debian_server = preg_replace("/[^a-zA-Z0-9.\-]/", "", $debian_server);
>>> $debian_file =
>> '/etc/wordpress/config-'.strtolower($debian_server).'.php';
>>> /* Main site in case of multisite with subdomains */
>>> $debian_main_server = preg_replace("/^[^.]*\./", "", $debian_server);
>>> $debian_main_file =
>>> '/etc/wordpress/config-'.strtolower($debian_main_server).'.php';
>>>
>>> if (file_exists($debian_file)) {
>>> require_once($debian_file);
>>> define('DEBIAN_FILE', $debian_file);
>>> } elseif (file_exists($debian_main_file)) {
>>> require_once($debian_main_file);
>>> define('DEBIAN_FILE', $debian_main_file);
>>> } elseif (file_exists("/etc/wordpress/config-default.php")) {
>>> require_once("/etc/wordpress/config-default.php");
>>> define('DEBIAN_FILE', "/etc/wordpress/config-default.php");
>>> } else {
>>> header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found");
>>> found. <br/> Ensure one of them exists, is readable by the webserver and
>>> contains the right password/username.";
>>> exit(1);
>>> }
>>>
>>> /* Default value for some constants if they have not yet been set
>>> by the host-specific config files */
>>> define('ABSPATH', '/usr/share/wordpress/');
>>> define('WP_CORE_UPDATE', false);
>>> define('WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true);
>>> define('DB_NAME', 'wordpress');
>>> define('DB_USER', 'wordpress');