[wp-hackers] Why hard-code the base URL (and directory)?

Hydrostarr lists.automattic.com--wp-hackers at hydrostarr.com
Sun Mar 11 16:19:54 UTC 2012

Why does WordPress hard-code the base URL and directory?  (Both are
hard-coded in back-end database.)  Why not leave this up to Apache
mappings in my Linux installs, making all references to paths (either in
URL/web space or filesystem space) relative?  This seems to be how may
other web apps in my server installs do it.

Makes it difficult to port/test/demo installs/sites modularly.  eg, when
demo-ing multiple, independent revs of same site to client, like in:

Details: http://goo.gl/ldbkI

Thoughts?