[wp-hackers] GSoC Dates in the Southern Hemisphere

Stas Sușcov stas at nerd.ro
Wed Mar 7 22:43:09 UTC 2012

În data de Thu, 08 Mar 2012 00:21:14 +0200, Ryan McCue
<lists at rotorised.com> a scris:

> Hey everyone,
>
> This is aimed mainly at those who have been in GSoC in the past;
> specifically those who use the southern hemisphere semester dates.
>
> I'm in Australia, and I'm wondering how hard it was to participate in
> GSoC when it starts overlapping the start of the next semester. As far
> as I can see, there'd be about a month overlap (semester starts in July,
> GSoC ends half way through August).
>
> What was the workload like for you?
>
> Thanks,

I'm an ex GSoCer from EU, but here are some points you might find useful.

You communication and relation with mentor(s) is crucial. And as soon as
you start taking that seriously, a lot of questions get answered.

Your mentor is a human being, and if you are treating him accordingly, he
will help you in most of the situations.

I know students (friends), that had delays with their exams, ending up
with the school late june/early july, and it was never a problem if
mentors were aware of such details.

In short, NOT explaining your situation or treating your mentor as an
enemy is the only reason why your GSoC can fail.
I even heard of students that promised and kept their promise to finish
their project later in August/Sept. and all this just by having a good
communication with their mentors.

Google might be the one who offers the resources, but your mentor(s) is
the real employer (and he can fire you anytime).

Hope you find this tips helpful, or maybe as answers to your question.