[wp-hackers] Stress testing WordPress

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:35:46 UTC 2012

We are going to launch a community site with 100K posts, 100K
comments, 10K terms, 5 users ( all admin/editorial), and approx 500K
recs in the wp_postmeta.

Site may grow with a larger author base and we hope it will grow to
become a much bigger site...

At this time, I would like to know how would WordPress behave when the
above numbers reach the 10 times the current fold, that is

1M posts,
1M comments,
100K terms,
500 users,
and approx 5M recs in the wp_postmeta.

First off, are there any tools out there  to put this many records (
dummy recs fine ) into a WordPress install in a fast-efficient manner?

My migration routine takes about 10 hours to complete to put 100K
posts into WP. I must find more efficient ways to 1M records!

I know WP can handle fairly large database content and WordPress.com
is the greatest example for that.
However, those guys have of a ton of servers to blaance to load and
much more expensive servers which skew the whole equation.
In my case, I have what I have. A since $10K IIS server running at a
data center.

I'm curious to see/experience how the admin dashboard would load and
how the front page ( with multiple loops ) behave when I have that
many posts in there..

Any ideas/tools towards this goal is greatly appreciated...

Of course, once I have that many recs, I will be needing a stress
testing tool but I think I can find utilities for that.That's more of
a IIS question.

and BTW, we must be on an IIS (windows) server and we cannot switch to
a LINUX server for lots of legacy code (ASP) reasons anytime soon.

Thank you for your help.