[wp-hackers] Introduction: WordPress Developer from Bluehost

Bryan Petty bpetty at bluehost.com
Thu Jun 14 20:22:41 UTC 2012

Bluehost has been very generous, and made some room in the budget to
hire on a couple full-time developers who will be dedicated to working
on WordPress core. I am one of those developers, so I wanted to
introduce myself to the list, and give everyone a little background on
myself (the other developer hasn't been hired yet, but will be very soon).

My WP.org username is "bpetty", and I've been programming professionally
for right around 10 years. I've been using PHP since version 3, but the
first 7 of those 10 years was also spent writing C++ desktop application
for both Windows and OSX (Phoenix Project Manager if you're curious).

I'm also one of the official developers on the open source wxWidgets
project where besides working on the actual C++ library itself, I also
run the official website, wiki, online documentation, and the forums. As
one of the wxWidgets developers, I have mentored students in the Google
Summer of Code program, and I have actually met a few of you in person
at the Mentor Summits from the last 3 years (to be honest though, I
don't recall any names).

If you didn't catch me in the #wordpress-dev IRC channel yesterday when
I gave this introduction there, I will be lurking in there from now on
under the nick "tierra".

My existing experience with WordPress is simply as a developer that has
launched a few sites using WordPress. I have built new themes from
scratch for a couple of those sites, and I have also already made
several fixes to 4 or 5 existing extensions. I am very familiar with the
custom post types, fields, and taxonomies having built sites with
WordPress as both a blog and as a full CMS. However, I have not dug
myself in much deeper into core WordPress code until now.

My initial plans here are simply to submit bug patches and perform
testing as needed on the backlog of Trac tickets on core as well as
helping with unit tests once I'm a little more familiar with the system.
We'll see where my strengths land after the first few months here, and I
can start digging into larger new features and changes later on down the
road. I do know that some of the most annoying parts of WordPress that
I'd like to see improved lie mostly in the mess that is the public
template functions and tags (I am strong with developer APIs and
backwards compatibility), so that's one likely area I will jump into,
but only after high priority stuff is taken care of first.

Regards,

Bryan Petty
Wordpress Developer
bpetty at bluehost.com

P.S. If WordPress is considering a migration from SVN to git/GitHub, let
it be known that I've been using git for over two years now, so no
training is needed here. In fact, I plan on using the GitHub WP mirror
for my patches until it's time to look at possible SVN commit access way
down the road here.