[wp-hackers] Handling the featured tags

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Mon Jun 11 20:27:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Haluk Karamete <halukkaramete at gmail.com>wrote:

> 3 questions:
>
> Would you have crafted a different solution for a high traffic, a very
> high traffic site?

No I wouldn't.

> What would be the greatest harm of tapping into the post_date_gmt of
> the wp_posts? I incline towards the GMT field ( as opposed to using
> custom fields ) strictly for performance reasons. Again, if the site
> gets 1 query a day, who cares? But what if the site gets 100000 page
> views a day.
>
> Where  do GMT stuff gets used really? Can I just say heck with it and
> use that instead?

The GMT date is the one that has to be used for scheduling posts, for RSS
feeds and more. Without GMT dates scheduling and the like become much
trickier.

Of course, you can do what you want with your own site.

But remember that sites don't get much more higher traffic than
WordPress.com and I don't expect they need to hack the code to do odd
things with it.

Mike
--
Mike Little