[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Jul 25 17:10:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Bryan Petty <bpetty at bluehost.com> wrote:
> There's obviously a level of what functionality you should ship by
> default with the core application that both plugin developers and users
> can rely on and expect that every WP installation has those features and
> functionality. Also, you said it yourself, the 80/20 rule.

Agreed. But a persistent object cache doesn't fall into that category.
IMO, of course.

> That's fine. I've explained it, and I've answered your questions.

And you still haven't provided a plugin that shows how to implement it
correctly.

The Cache API allows hooking in of external caching mechanisms. It's
fairly trivial to implement such a cache using files. Here's one for
example:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-file-cache/

Here's another:
http://neosmart.net/WP/FileCache/

And here's a full explanation of the file cache and why it fell out of
WordPress:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/wordpress-25-and-the-object-cache/

If you know "the right way" then *implement it*. Don't explain it. Do it.

-Otto