[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Tue Jul 24 18:08:14 UTC 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Ryan Hellyer wrote:
> +1
>
> Lots of waffle, but no explanation of what should actually be
> improved.

Oh please, stop with the melodrama.  I've made 3 specific requests yet you've made no comment on any of them; instead you are throwing stones. Rather than be condescending maybe you could address them?  Here they are each with the link to the wp-hackers archive where I made the request:

1.) Fix the Transients API[1]
2.) Enable multiple dropin files per type of dropin[2]
3.) Address this fragment caching ticket[3]

Yes, there is a lot more that could be done in terms of caching-related APIs but we can at least start with these 3.

-Mike
P.S. For some reason "caching in the core" has become a code-word for the faithful to draw up arms in defense of core's virtue. Wouldn't it actually be smarter to address core's limitations that make implemented caching in a plugin harder than it should be?

[1] http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2012-July/043801.html
[2] http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2012-July/043772.html
[3] http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2012-July/043792.html