[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Ryan Hellyer ryan at pixopoint.com
Fri Jul 20 16:19:05 UTC 2012

As pointed out by Scribu, there is already a caching API built into
WordPress core. It is very easy to use.

It would be possible to force the caching API to use transients by
default instead of relying on an object cache, but that may
potentially slow things down sometimes, hence it's left up to
individual plugin/theme developers to utilize the caching API in the
optimal way.

I see no point in changing the way WordPress core handles caching. It
works pretty slick from my perspective.

You also mentioned minification, but that is not a caching IMO, that
is a separate issue, albeit one which is often applied during the
caching process.