[wp-hackers] wanting to select no categories

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Jul 20 15:20:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Kevinjohn Gallagher
<kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> How do I set a post to have NO categories?(yeah, i know, sounds simple)
> Every time I uncheck categories, it adds the default in as standard.

The default "Uncategorized" category is what gets returned when the
post has no categories. Thus it appears to be in the default category
even when it's not (and it will be saved as such, meaning that it gets
the default category on save).

Bottom line: A post must have a cat. All of the core assumes that a
post has a cat, pretty much. If you remove all the cats, then the
default cat will be chosen.

-Otto