[wp-hackers] Your development Setup

Andrew Spratley aspratley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 06:32:02 UTC 2012

I use netbeans (on a mac). I haven't had a chance to check out
PHPstorm so can't really compare the two. Netbeans integrates with
xdebug so you get built in debugging and can step through your code
line by line (a good learning aid as well to find out how WP ticks).
There's also "intellisense"/autocomplete to let you view method
definitions/phpdocs. If you put your entire WP install in a project
you'll get auto suggest for all the WP code as well.

The IDE is a bit heavy on memory and at least for me the debugger can
be littler iffy. For small edits I find myself just opening a small
text editor out of convenience, but Netbeans, IMO is a decent PHP IDE.