[wp-hackers] WordPress moving to PHP 5.3x?

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sun Jul 15 03:52:45 UTC 2012

Ryan McCue wrote:
> Mike Schinkel wrote:
>> To everyone who commented may I ask what *you* would choose as a minimum requirement?
>
> I'd do the same as I do for my open source projects: look at the
> requirements for the project itself.

Addendum: given that you're targeting developers, it's a good idea to
look at it from their point of view.

If they're developing for clients on shared hosting, then they could be
on anything: the current Ubuntu LTS (10.04) comes with 5.3, while CentOS
5 has 5.1.

If they're on a VPS or dedicated, likely it's their choice, so they'll
be running 5.3 or 5.4 (since they're faster, and 5.3 is pretty stable now).

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>