[wp-hackers] Any drawbacks in setting WP_CONTENT_DIR (and URL) to DOCUMENT_ROOT?

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:55:24 UTC 2012

On 13 July 2012 15:33, Rodolfo Buaiz <brasofilo at gmail.com> wrote:
> G'evening, wp-hackers out there!
>
> Haven't tested this, but anyone can preview any troubles with this setup in
> wp-config.php?
> (WordPress installed at the root)
>
> define( 'WP_CONTENT_DIR', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] );
> define( 'WP_CONTENT_URL', 'http://www.example.com' );

I've had this structure active on a site for the last 18 months and
haven't seen any problems. As with any change to the location of the
content directory, you'll need to double check any plugins you add to
the site don't assume that the content directory is at wp-content.
Most plugins should be fine, but there are bound to be plugins out
there that still hard code path such as 'wp-content/plugins'.

John