[wp-hackers] Adding checkout form validation with wp-e-commerce

Shasta Willson shastaw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 23:52:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Andrew Bartel <andrew.bartel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since PHP doesn't support overloading and I don't see any appropriate hooks
> to add additional validation, it seems like I'm stuck with modifying core
> code.
>
> Does anyone have a workaround for this that makes my installation of wpec
> update safe?

I'd use jQuery for validation.  There are some nice tools available,
depending what you want to do.

I haven't been very happy with modifying WP E-commerce.  It seems the
code is rather messy and hooks are often lacking, and I've encountered
a few surprising things for a product that's ostensibly quite mature
and very widely used. There's no doubt it's flexible -- probably the
hands down most flexible tool out there for the very reasonable price
of free+paid extras -- but there have been enough emergency updates
that I'd definitely not want to impact my update path. I've been
looking around for an alternative and currently have Cart66 on my
testing server.  The code seems clean, at least so far.

- Shasta