[wp-hackers] GitHub + plugins.svn.wordpress.org

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 18:28:52 UTC 2012

Thanks Simon, but I'm not that far yet! I'm having problems with the
fact that I already have a functioning GitHub repo and wordpress.org
SVN repo for my plugins.

Thus far I've been developing and committing in GitHub, then manually
copying & deploying new releases with TortoiseSVN. I started out like
that because the integration and scripting to automate things seemed a
bit complex when I was just getting my head around Git. I didn't count
on switching to automated deployment being tricky, otherwise I
probably would have invested the time to do it from the start.

I'm not clear on whether I've hit a real sticking point or if there's
any way round this, but the only thing on the web and in this thread
that I've found addressing my issue is:

"If you have active, separate commit histories in both svn and Github,
may God have mercy on your soul."
http://teleogistic.net/2011/05/revisiting-git-github-and-the-wordpress-org-plugin-repository/

:-( !

I don't mind losing my commit history on GitHub if absolutely
necessary (I imagine losing the history on wordpress.org is out of the
question). Just not sure how to address the issue.