[wp-hackers] Easy-Hacks for WP

Jesper Jarlskov jesper at jarlskov.dk
Tue Jan 31 19:23:22 UTC 2012

I have on several occasions talked to the people behind the Linux
distribution Exherbo[0]. They have had great success getting new
contributors onto the project by keeping a bunch of low hanging fruits
around. This is stuff that is not critical, ie not security issues and so
on, but small easy to grasp usually nice-to-have features, that could
easily be fixed by the core developers. They make sure to always keep some
of these issues around to give aspiring contributors an easy way to get
started on contributing.

I really like this idea and I know, as mentioned, that other projects has
had great success with it. I think one of the biggest problems to getting
new contributors on a project is that first commit.

[0] http://exherbo.org/

Jesper Jarlskov

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Chris Williams <chris at clwill.com> wrote:

> IMHO, the last thing a relatively mature codebase like WP needs is people
> randomly tossing in a bunch of "easy hacks".  Every piece of code needs to
> understand the context it is in, needs to respect the coding, data, and
> structural paradigms, and needs to play well with the past, present, and
> future of the codebase.
>
> In my experience, some of the most insidious bugs in the projects I have
> worked on were introduced by well-meaning people who simply didn't
> understand the context well enough.  I would rather have some of these
> small, even trivial, bugs lie fallow rather than have them "fixed" in a
> way that introduces more bugs, more complexity, or even hamstrings the
> codebase against some larger, more elegant, long-term solution that may be
> in the works.
>
> But that's just my $0.02,
> Chris
>
> On 1/31/12 8:20 AM, "john malc" <dimitrijenko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can i get more ideas by people on it. Agree/ Not agree etc

Jesper Jarlskov