[wp-hackers] Easy-Hacks for WP

Chris Williams chris at clwill.com
Tue Jan 31 19:11:36 UTC 2012

IMHO, the last thing a relatively mature codebase like WP needs is people
randomly tossing in a bunch of "easy hacks".  Every piece of code needs to
understand the context it is in, needs to respect the coding, data, and
structural paradigms, and needs to play well with the past, present, and
future of the codebase.

In my experience, some of the most insidious bugs in the projects I have
worked on were introduced by well-meaning people who simply didn't
understand the context well enough.  I would rather have some of these
small, even trivial, bugs lie fallow rather than have them "fixed" in a
way that introduces more bugs, more complexity, or even hamstrings the
codebase against some larger, more elegant, long-term solution that may be
in the works.

But that's just my $0.02,
Chris