[wp-hackers] DOING_AJAX all the time

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Jan 30 18:20:50 UTC 2012

Enable PHP Warnings/Notices and you'll get an error along the lines of
"Constant DOING_AJAX undefined, Assuming 'DOING_AJAX'" (a string).
so what your code is really saying is... If the string "DOING_AJAX" is
not empty, echo yes.

This is because the DOING_AJAX define is only defined when it's true,
so you should be doing:
if ( defined('DOING_AJAX') && DOING_AJAX )

As a easier way to catch this, always use something such as var_dump()
and inspect the type of the variable printed is what you expect (ie. a
boolean, and not a string of DOING_AJAX).