[wp-hackers] Unit Testing

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Jan 26 23:11:53 UTC 2012

On Jan 26, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Stas Sușcov wrote:

> I believe this thread was started by simply not being aware of existing tests for WordPress and the coverage of those.

As far as I can tell from a Google search[1] and from answers on 4 questions[2] at StackExchange's WordPress Answers, there are really only a total of 7 other pages[3-9] on the web about Unit Testing for WordPress. 7 pages out of 60+ million blogs and billions(?) of total web pages generated by users of WordPress software.

7.  Total.  Pages!

Earth has a better chance of a catastrophic asteroid collision[10] than we have of finding useful unit testing information about WordPress on the web.

And 1 is a readme, 2 are home pages for a trac and svn sites, respectively, 2 are codex pages with at best linked example, 1 minimal coding how-to from the guy's at Chicago Tribune's ChicagoNow.com (IOW, nobody directly related to the WordPress core team.) The only reasonabke good one if from Nikolay Bachiyski on WordPress.tv, and it is a video.  IOW, 1 reasonable how-to which being a video doesn't even allow you to copy the code. Out of billions of web pages.

I'm not pointing fingers at *anyone* for *not* having done more. My team has badly needed to implement unit tests for our internal framework and sites built using it but we have yet to have the time to devote the minimum of 1-2 weeks to research and build proof-of-concepts to allow us to discover best practices for WordPress unit testing.

But I *am* saying Wojtek is neither an idiot nor a jerk for asking about unit tests, and I feel confident all the +1's were in part because of the dearth of how-to information and best practices about unit testing WordPress projects. So I for one would applaud *any* efforts to emerge how-to information and best practices for unit testing on WordPress related projects.

-Mike

[1] http://www.google.com/searchq=unit+tests+for+wordpress
[2] http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/search?q=unit+[testing]
[3] http://unit-tests.trac.wordpress.org/