[wp-hackers] New plugin: Groups - looking for feedback

Karim "Kento" Rahimpur itthinx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:54:57 UTC 2012

I surely appreciate your thoughts on this.

While there are certainly many ways to achieve something, these differ in
the means that are used. In this case, they differ especially in the
fundamental principles that are employed.

If anyone wants to build a similar system as Groups and base it on
WordPress' taxonomies, they are of course free to do so. As far as Groups
itself is concerned, it's based on well-known and accepted design
principles in Software Engineering and thus its underlying data model and
the resulting number of tables isn't going to change based on any
preference regarding the number of tables deployed. Why would someone want
to judge a plugin by the "number of tables" it creates? Systems use
hundreds of tables because it's a result of a thorough and sound design,
people you work with large-scale ERP or CRM systems see the need for it
very clearly. Those who appreciate its design may find it very comfortable
to work and develop with Groups, those who do not, should have no need to
feel forced to use it and can use any of the alternatives that are around.

Again, although I appreciate your opinions, Groups' design will not be
based on taxonomies. It's far beyond the stage of discussing the "how to
build Groups" and it's time to talk about "what do you want to do with it"
- of course, only if you want to do something with it.