[wp-hackers] Shorthand: Appearance/switching themes?

Helen Hou-Sandi helen.y.hou at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:39:33 UTC 2012

Doesn't it seem that the whole ecosystem is being taken care of, even if
it's not everybody in every release? The past couple releases have been
very feature-heavy, but without nearly as much UI for end users. Tons of
goodies for developers, with just a few things that your average user
notices. Don't forget: this mailing list is not your average user, or at
least it's not supposed to be. Our perspective is very skewed.

If there's a release that focuses on making things *such as* theme
switching or previewing widgets/menus/headers/whatever or media management
(something I think both end users and developers can agree could use some
love), I as a vendor don't have a problem with that and rather welcome it
for the sake of clients and the overall longevity of WordPress itself.
Rarely does somebody care about every single feature added to software, but
progress is progress, and just because one of the changelog items doesn't
affect what you are doing doesn't make it invalid or useless. Wouldn't
having more UI make life as a developer easier, anyway?

Somebody has to be the "bad guy" to developers and remind us that
end/non-technical users matter. The number of users on WordPress.com far
surpass what any of us are serving as individual developers or agencies.
They don't know enough to be as vocal as you/we are, but somebody has to
stick up for them, and often it comes down to somebody like Jane. If you
were always being attacked or questioned, wouldn't your emails try to be as
clear and to-the-point as possible? I don't think that's something to get
up in arms about, and really, trying to read emotion or absolute intent
from email (especially on a mailing list) is a useless endeavor.