[wp-hackers] Shorthand: Appearance/switching themes?

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Sat Jan 7 02:12:26 UTC 2012

On 1/6/12 9:06 PM, John Blackbourn wrote:
> I believe the changes also aim to cover theme features, such as menus,
> widgets, custom headers, etc. Lots of stuff that users may change more
> regularly than they change their actual active theme.
Correct. The intent doesn't really have anything to do with how often
you change things, just that customizing your site should be as painless
as possible, whether that's switching themes or previewing widgets
before they go live.

On 1/6/12 8:42 PM, Lee Rickler wrote:
> once I deliver a theme to a client the last thing I want is for them to be able to start adding new themes.
> Kind of defeats my purpose.
To be blunt, who cares what you as a vendor want? The person who owns
and manages the site is the person our features are designed for. If you
don't want them to be able to do things on their own or go with a new
theme later on, why not go with a bespoke system or at least something
that's hard to use or locked down with permissions? The whole point of
WordPress is freedom and ease. If you want to prevent your clients from
taking part in that, it's kind of lame.