[wp-hackers] wp-hackers Digest, Vol 84, Issue 5

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Jan 6 17:20:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Barrett Golding <bg at hearingvoices.com> wrote:
> Otto
> 1. just wanted to tell you, it was your recent post and patch
> that inspired me to start these slug tests and a Codex Docs page on slugs.
>
>> It's not a bug, you're just creating conflicts
>
> 2.  not saying the rewrite rules have a bug, or the slug-naming process.
>
> but when WP tells the user: here's your valid Permalink for your Page.
> and that URL is, instead, a 404, that perhaps is a bug.
>
> (ie, the misleading info WP gives the user in the Edit Page screen)

Nothing wrong with that, but that is not a bug nevertheless. It's
simply not supported

See, "bug" implies something that is broken. A behavior that is
supposed to be supported, but which isn't working. This particular
thing isn't unintended behavior, it's just potentially unexpected
behavior.

What you're actually requesting here is the addition of a new
"feature". You want it to support something that it currently does not
support. You want it to check for slugs across the whole spectrum
instead of just in the Pages, so that users cannot possibly create a
conflicting set of permalinks.

I have no particular objection to that, but it is a new feature and
would need to be treated and debated as such first, because there's
cases where this new feature may be undesirable which you might have
not considered. I think it would be rather confusing for a user to try
to create a page named "tag" or "category" only for it to come up as
"tag-2" or "category-2" because of the conflict with those
pre-existing taxonomies. Sure, the Page's link would then work, but
the user wouldn't understand why his URL wasn't being allowed.

New features need consideration and debate. Bugs, usually, don't.

-Otto