[wp-hackers] Disable/ Stop "auto-draft" posts

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 28 16:20:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Daniel Grundel
<daniel at webpresencepartners.com> wrote:
> I suspect if you removed support for 'revisions' that would stop happening,
> but I could be totally wrong. Of course, you would also lose support for
> storing multiple revisions of your posts. :)

No, that wouldn't work.

Auto-drafts exist because of the fact that multiple users can create
new posts at the same time. If two people enter post-new at roughly
the same moment, then have their first autosaves occur nearly
simultaneously, then there is a race condition that can cause one of
them to get back the wrong post ID, which will cause a post to be
overwritten/lost when they then continue editing the post.

The auto-draft creates the post and gets the ID of the new post before
the editing screen is displayed, thus preventing two simultaneous
authors from accidentally having the same post ID in the data in their
browser.

-Otto