[wp-hackers] Rename the wp-admin directory

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Feb 27 09:02:40 UTC 2012

Put simply: You can't.

Longer answer: You can hack around things, and get it working, but
you'll loose all ability to upgrade without issue (potentially causing
security issues thanks to running an out of date version), you'll
loose access to certain plugins that rely on /wp-admin/, you'll
potentially loose styling when images are embedded in some
stylesheets, etc.

puclic_html/wordpress-trunk$ grep -r wp-admin * | grep -v '\.svn' |
grep -v 'wp-content' | grep '\.php'
provides 498 good reasons not to attempt it.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying WordPress doesn't
support it, and that it's a waste of your time attempting it.
Both from a "you can do it" perspective, AND from a security
perspective, it's going to provide little protection, given the
alternatives available (proper passwords.. SSL, .htaccess HTTP
Authentication, combination of all of the previous.. etc)