[wp-hackers] register_sidebar()

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 00:32:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm new to WP but I have a few PHP skills and I am hacking on a theme
called PageLines.

With that said...

I'm creating two new "sections" to display a top and bottom
leaderboard for ads. These sections will be NOT in the sidebar. :)

I'm at the point in my code where I use:

register_sidebar()

Would I still use the above method even if my section/widget content
will never be in a physical sidebar (I'm talking about HTML sidebar on
the front end theme template)?

I know that's probably a silly question, but I just want to make sure
I using the right method. Maybe the name "sidebar" is throwing me off?
Is there another method for registering non-sidebar sections?

Hopefully I'm not asking a total noob question... I figured I would
have better luck asking here than on the WP forums (anyway, I like
e-mail listservs and I plan on hacking more in the future.) :D

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Micky