[wp-hackers] Too much translation files

Michael D Adams mda at blogwaffe.com
Thu Feb 16 18:34:04 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Dion Hulse (dd32)
<wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
> On 16 February 2012 18:03, Frank Bueltge <frank at bueltge.de> wrote:
>> +1; same issue please for screenshots-xx.png
>> not usefull for automatic install via backend, different webspaces
>> have problems with to much files; but this files are not usefull for
>> the activation on install.
>
> For Plugins, I agree, that they're mostly useless at present, but some
> plugins use, and expect them to be present. As a result, the new Image
> Headers on WordPress.org are stored in an assets folder instead of the
> plugins folder, so that the extra images are not pushed to installs..
> There'll probably be more enhancements on that in time, but in
> general, screenshots can be compressed to ~50kb each as they're not
> usually large images (and are only displayed as reasonably small
> images), overall, they can make up a smaller percentage of the size
> than you may think.

It was discussed a long time ago on hackers, but I don't think it's
ever been officially documented: You can have the plugins directory
package up a subdirectory of your repo, rather than the whole thing.

http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/mdawaffe-test/trunk/

Notice the "Stable tag: trunk/plugin" in the readme file.  trunk/ is
the "stable tag" and is used to find the readme.txt and all screenshot
files, but the actual zip file will only contain the files found in
the plugin/ subdirectory.

http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/mdawaffe-test.zip

This addresses the screenshots issue, but not languages issue (since
they have to be in the package to be useful).

Sounds like the assets/ thing is a different (and simpler)
implementation of the same idea.

Mike
--mdawaffe