[wp-hackers] pluggable.php

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Fri Aug 31 16:12:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM, scribu <mail at scribu.net> wrote:

> Is the function already pluggable (i.e. wrapped in a function_exists()
> check)?
>
> YES: Keep it in pluggable.php
> NO: Don't make it pluggable; add a filter at the end instead.

I.e. The whole concept of pluggable functions is legacy. If
reverse-compatibility wasn't an issue they'd all be removed.

I just added a sentence to the "Pluggable
Functions<http://codex.wordpress.org/Pluggable_Functions>"
Codex article for the next person wondering about the seemingly random
choice of functions that are pluggable:

"Pluggable functions are no longer being added to WordPress core. All new
functions instead use filters on their output to allow for similar
overriding of their functionality."

--
Jeremy Clarke • jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design • globalvoicesonline.org